I’ve been using Windows Live Mesh for years. I’ve stuck with them through all the transition from the original beta of Mesh, through the Live Sync phase, and now back to Live Mesh again. It’s very handy keeping files in sync between my laptop and desktop when the folders involved are larger than I’d want to put in the cloud.
Live Mesh for Mac
Live Mesh for Mac, however, is a buggy, bewildering animal. It’s one of those things that’s great when it works, but God help you if it has a problem. With most programs, you’d be able to just uninstall and reinstall to get your settings straightened out. But the wizards in Redmond decided to hide all kinds of settings in places you wouldn’t expect. Uninstalling Mesh for Mac, even with an uninstaller utility like AppCleaner, does not remove the program’s settings. I trolled forums for hours seeking the right solution. Finally after going back and forth with clueless Microsoft forum support mods, I got an answer that works when combined to other hints I found. There are four steps. Do them IN ORDER.
1. Remove Your Windows Live Login ID
Apparently, Microsoft remembers your Live ID in a location that is not deleted when you uninstall the Mesh software. Because of this when you try to uninstall and reinstall Mesh, it already has the last login ID you used pre-populated in the login boxes. Here’s how to remove it manually:
- Launch Windows Live Mesh.
- Enter your username.
- Once it auto-completes with the password, uncheck all the remember boxes and go ahead and sign in.
- Quit Windows Live Mesh.
2. Uninstall the Mesh Software Completely
- Download the free AppCleaner software by clicking here, and launch it.
- Uninstall Mesh by dragging its icon in the Applications folder to the AppCleaner window and clicking delete.
- Empty your trash.
- Open Terminal from the Applications > Utilities folder.
- From the terminal window, remove the Live ID and WLMesh directories from Application Support folder in the user directory by typing the following commands exactly (including quotation marks):
- cd ~/library/”Application Support”
- rm -rf “Live ID”
- rm -rf “WLMesh”
3. Remove Your Synced Device
- Sign in to https://devices.live.com
- Under the device that you want to remove, click Manage
- Click Stop using this service
4. Download and Reinstall Live Mesh
- Click here to download the Mac version of Live Mesh.
- Reinstall as normal and set up your syncing again. Everything should work again as normal.